December 1, 2011

Put a cotton ball on it

I originally wanted to talk about something that im super pumped about but with it being the FIRST of December I had to go ahead and post a craft. A christmas craft to be exact. So I will hold off until tomorrow to talk about what I originally wanted to talk about.

Okay. so ya, December 1. Can you believe it!? Doesn't it seem like just yesterday it was August? I know for me it seems that way. It seems like just yesterday the sun was shining brightly, the days were humid and I had major pits stains from the intense heat... OH wait, that was almost yesterday. I forgot I live in Florida haha. No but for real, it was 25 degrees this morning on my way to work. Its crazy to think it being 25 degrees in Florida but the weather down here in the winter is so sporadic. One day it's freezing, the very next it's hot and it continues to flip flop for the next 2-3 months.

So this post isn't a craft about weather. I promise.

It is however about something I made a loooong time ago and when I made this I always knew I wanted to make another one someday when I had kids of my own.

A Santa advent calendar!

I still remember back in kindergarten. You know back when they still had Christmas parties at school and you could make santa crafts and snowman crafts and christmas tree crafts.... ya, back then. Anyways, I was 6yrs old and of course at that age your totally psyched about christmas and santa and presents and toys and all things holly jolly. Am I right or am I right?

We had made these little Santa calendar {advent} out of construction paper, glue and cotton balls. If any craft I remember doing in school, it's this one. I LOVED it. Seriously loved it.


First you start out with some red and white construction paper. With the red cut out the shape of a santa hat. With the white, cut out the shape that would be a small part of his face and then his beard.


Next glue the santa hat to the beard. For the end of his hat I cut a circle out of some extra paper, glued it to the end and then glued cotton balls on it. Then you glue cotton balls along the bottom/rim of the hat and also along the face area. Leaving the rest of the beard exposed. 


For the nose and eyes you can pretty much draw them on, or for what we did, we put a felt ball for the nose. I didn't have any red. closest I had was a dark pink/cranberry color. For the eyes I added some of those googly eye things and drew on some glasses.


For the beard, write in the numbers leading up to the big day - 25.


Now for each day that passes leading up until Christmas you put a cotton ball on that date.


Since today is December 1, Jay put a cotton ball on '1'. 

24 more days to go!

No comments:

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)