November 21, 2011

Sounds like a plan Stan

I never realized how long it would actually take to make a menu. A menu for Thanksgiving no less....

and I may or may not have made this menu while sitting at my desk @ work :-|

We were supposed to have our 'first' Turkey dinner this past weekend, however that was pushed to next weekend because of the plague sinus junk that was making the rounds around our house. So now that we are feeling like our chipper ol' selves again and the fact that today is Monday and Thanksgiving is in .... oh.... 3 DAYS, I have a lot of planning to do.

Im actually pretty impressed with the menu I came up with. I wanted to kind of have a little bit of 'both' types of meals. As in the first menu reflects my own northeastern traditions {i.e New England}. Growing up our Thanksgiving meals were very traditional, you'd think we were having dinner with the Pilgrims themselves, that's how traditional it was, and you know what? I loved it. 

The second menu is more reminiscent of the 'south'. Seeing as how Josh grew up in Mississippi, I wanted to try and add in some more 'southern' type foods, hence the mac n cheese and of course the mud pie because it's named after his home state... I know, corny.

But without further ado... I give you my official Thanksgiving 2011 menu...sssss.....

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Thursday {Thanksgiving meal 1}

Appetizers
Cheesy bean dip and tortilla chips
Pigs in a blanket {when I first typed this out I realized I had put 'pugs' in a blanket ha! ::snort::}
Cheese and crackers {standard}
Veggie tray {standard}

Main dish
Turkey w/stuffing {we put our stuffing inside the turkey}
Ham {am I the only one that thinks that its totally nontraditional to have ham on TURKEY day?... not my doing}

Sides
Roasted red potatoes and asparagus
Corn
Roasted carrots
Dinner rolls

Dessert
Chocolate peanut butter torte
Oreo cheesecake cookies



♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦


Saturday {Thanksgiving meal 2}

Appetizers
Cheesy bean dip and tortilla chips
Stuffed mushrooms
Cheese and crackers
Veggie tray

Main dish
Turkey and stuffing

Sides
Mashed potatoes
Slow baked Mac n Cheese
Green bean casserole
Dinner rolls

Dessert
Turtle cheesecake
Pumpkin pie
Mississippi mud pie


I plan to create the recipes {links posted at the end of the post} and succeed by not pulling my hair out and actually joining everyone at the dinner table with something nice on and not my 'sweats' {although... cooking all day I have a free pass right? that is if I do decide to slum it}.

We have more guests {family} coming on Saturday which works out even more so because if we have left overs on Thursday, you bet your bottom dollar left overs will be a 'choice' on the menu for Saturday muahaha.

Now im debating on whether to get all cutesy and possibly create some type of 'menu board' with chalkboard paint... but jeeez, will I even have time? I don't know... I still have to go to work tomorrow and I have to take the day off on Wednesday just to be able to go grocery shopping {which im dreading btw. Grocery store + day before Thanksgiving?... worse then Walmart on a Saturday morning}.  We shall see. Luckily the funk is gone and my energy is back {w00t}. Tomorrow I am determined to get a good run in before all of this extra curricular festivities start!

Have any of you guys planned out your menu yet? Are you a menu planner-er?


Sources/recipes for Thursday {as follows by the menu, in same order}
Appetizers - Cheesy bean dipPigs in a blanketCheese and crackersVeggie tray
Main - Turkey and stuffing
Sides - Roasted red potatoes and asparagusCornRoasted carrotsDinner rolls
Dessert - Chocolate peanut butter torteOreo cheesecake cookies

Sources/recipes for Saturday {as follows by menu in same order, unless repeated for Thursday}
Appetizers - Stuffed mushrooms
Sides - Mashed potatoesSlow cooker mac n cheeseGreenbean casserole
Dessert - Turtle cheesecakePumpkin pieMississippi mud pie

No comments:

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)