August 14, 2011

Jayden's Room - Before and After

Well I am happy to report that I have one completed room in our home. We have been living here for a year and a half and one, keyword there, one, room is finished. Done. Complete. Although I say it's completely finished but is any room ever really 100% finished? [especially when said room involves a toddler].

It has taken us approximately a week to complete this room. Not to shabby if you ask me, and I must say I am super happy about the final result, Jayden is super happy about his 'new' room and I am so excited to finally be able to share it with you!

At the bottom of the post I have added the complete breakdown for you. Budget was a big focus for us with the complete transformation of this room.

Before


Here was his room before. The wall color was... honestly, I can't remember what exactly it was because I haven't really liked it since it went up on the walls. The tree and the owl I painted almost a year ago, which I adore and am sad to see it go, however just in the past year Jayden has changed so much as far as what he likes. 


His 'style' is more defined now. He knows what he likes and there for it makes it easier for me to create a space just for him, with all of his favorite things. A room where his personality shines through and where the possibilities for his creativeness are endless. 

After


And that's exactly what we did. 


I still wanted to stick with a lighter shade for the wall color, however I wanted something a little more 'warm' to keep the space bright, but not make it feel like a hospital.



As you can see we picked one wall and painted it with Rustoleums Chalkboard paint.


There is the new home for my $15.00 dresser that I blogged about the other day [you can read about that here] Above the nightstand is a painting I made for him, of a Robot. He is all kinds of serious about some Robots right now. 


 
The nightstand itself currently holds his chalk, coloring books, shape and numbers books and flashcards.


We already had a twin sized blanket for his bed because when we bought his toddler bed, I could never find a smaller sized blanket I liked, so I went with a twin sized and kept it folded. So in the end we saved money during this room redo. Also the little 'blanket' you see in the photo with the tree's, is not a blanket it at all. It's a shower curtain that Josh's mom picked up for about %75 off [Target] and at the moment it's being used to add some color to his bed. I do plan to make something out of it... just haven't committed to anything yet [possibly a blanket?]. 


I had a shower curtain stored away in the closet of my craft room, never really knowing what I wanted to do with it. I'm glad I kept it because it was the perfect color and match for his already plain/white curtains he had in his room. I cut 13" off the top and sewed sections of the blue patterned shower curtain on. Made some button holes with my sewing machine for the hooks to easily go through without them fraying, once hung up.



The art you see in the above photo is from Vintage Printable. It's vintage stamp art. The colors worked perfectly!





The other art you see is also various photos from my own collection, scrapbook paper, vintage printable and art he already had in his room before the redo.


His own little Art corner.


Complete with crayons and stamps.

 Before



 After



And someone.... definitely loves his new room! :)

Paint Colors-
Walls :: Olympics 'Oatlands Subtle Taupe' and Rustoleum 'Chalkboard Paint'.
Bed :: Olympics 'Asparagus'.
Nightstand :: Olympics 'South Pacific'.

Budget Breakdown [rounding up to the nearest dollar]-
Paint and Supplies :: $50.00 [already had the chalkboard paint].
Nightstand :: $15.00 [Goodwill]
Bed Frame :: $23.00 [Goodwill]
Serta twin size mattress ::  $100.00 [Big Lots]
Books :: $4.00 [bought 7 new books to add to his collection].
Frames :: $5.00 [bought some extra frames @ Goodwill to add to the collection of frames I already had].

Total :: $182.00

I reached my goal of staying within $200.00 and im pretty proud of myself. I have learned that it's super important to set a budget for yourself on the specific room you are working on so that you don't go overboard and break the bank on stuff you really don't need.

For this room I also did a lot of the things myself. The Art throughout the room for example- Photoshop is your friend people, cannot stress that enough and also AC Moore Arts and Crafts has sales on their painters canvas from time to time. I bought a 2-pack of 16x20 canvasses for $7.00. I didn't need them at the time but because they were such a steal [for real, those things can get pricey!] I bought a few packs and have had them stored away in the closet. So glad I did!

I also buy tablecloths or cotton/fabric shower curtains when their on sale because they make for great curtains [or even pillows]. You already read where the blue pattern I sewed onto his [already there] curtains, was a shower curtain. The white fabric part is also a shower curtain [100% cotton] that I had snagged on sale @ Target last year.

The furniture as you saw was bought at Goodwill. It didn't look so hot when we bought it, but for solid wood [which is rare these days] you can't beat the price. A little elbow grease goes a long way and in the end we are left with a colorful, solid piece of furniture that will last for many more years. 

And last but not least, the bunting was super easy. Some white yarn, scrapbook paper and presto. Easy and totally fun, colorful bunting [stay tuned further in the week for how I created the simple bunting hanging throughout his room].

That concludes our tour. I'm pooped, but relived that we have one completed room in this house. How exciting is that!?

16 comments:

  1. I love this room, it's so fun, he must just love it!!!

    I also love your new nightstand!!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first finished room! It looks amazing! I love the bunting that you hung around the room. The whole room is so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it! i'm so jealous of his big room. i want to redo my boys so bad but it s soo small

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW girl! Love the new room. I can't believe it was all that inexpensive to put together. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perfect! Love the chalkboard wall. He'll always remember that!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible! Good job,mama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that bright green bed. The room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The room turned out great! I love all the color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. The chalkboard wall is fantastic. He must live it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the small touches: the flag banner, colorful frames! And what a fun space for his art supplies-- would love to try this out with my little one..when he gets old enough to trust. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How Fun!!! I wish I could have had a whole chalkboard wall to myself when I was younger...he's so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I literally said "wow" out loud when I saw the after! I LOVE it! Found your blog through the delightful order link party and I'm your newest follower!

    Brie from darlingdoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, it really looks incredible!!! Job well done, girl!

    PS. I love your post from today. Keeping it real, just my style!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun room! I love the bunting across the top & the chalkboard wall! Great job! xo, Reannah

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a wonderful job! It's so fun & colorful! He must love his new room! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)