August 17, 2011

Scrapbook Paper Bunting - Tutorial

When I created the bunting for Jayden's room redo, it was the first bunting I have ever made. I've been seeing them all over the internets lately [dare I say Pinterest??] and I have always thought they were so cute. I've seen the fabric ones, paper ones which were then sewn onto fabric ribbon... just all kinds of buntings and each and everyone one of them were unique and creative in their own little ways.

When it came to Jaydens room, I would have loved to do a Fabric one, however I would have used up a lot of my fabric [which is the fabric I use for my items in my shop] so that option was out. Then I thought to my self, 'Self... should I sew paper onto ribbon?' and self did not comply with that option, so I went with plan C.


A paper-hole punch, white yarn, scissors, thumbtacks, and a template I made out of thick/heavy cardstock.

Oh and scrapbook paper [the main attraction!].


After I cut about a gazillion and one pieces of scrapbook paper into the shapes of little triangles, I put two holes with the hole punch at the top, not measuring, just completely eying it, which is fine either way.

I then took a long piece of cut yarn and placed it through the two holes.


At the end of the string I tied a little loopy-knot. The thumb-tack will be going through the loop to hold the banner up in place.


I put about 8 pieces onto one string. This was enough to go from one corner of the room to about the middle of that wall.


Once the bunting was hung up around the room, I was left with the little knots and thumbtacks in the corner, still showing, so all I did was go around and move the paper to the edge, as close to the corner as I could, just enough for the edge of it to cover over the thumbtacks and the knots that were made in the yarn. Once I did that, I evenly spaced the rest of them to make it all look more even.


It was such a simple project that made a really big impact. Jayden loves them... of course he calls them 'The Party' [???]. Which is fine by me, everytime he goes into his room now he can think he's at a party. :)

Have you made any crafts lately? Do tell!

1 comment:

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)