March 15, 2011

I'm just so Glad

This weekend consisted of a lot of back breaking work. I know a few posts ago I talked about how we spent a weekend raking up leaves and piling them into yard bags... Well my friends that was just the backyard. Our frontyard still needed some attention and this weekend was it. And on the bright side? We inspired our neighbor. I haven't seen that man touch his yard in the past year, but I guess he saw us out there Saturday morning trimming bushes and raking leaves right over on our side yard [where theirs meets ours] and he was out there Sunday morning raking, trimming and doing all kinds of yard work :)

Anyways another project that I did this weekend was work on the small section of space between the fence and the driveway.


That little space used to be filled with monkey grass when we moved in, but last year Josh's mom started ripping it out [why?... I may never know...] and so I followed suit. It stayed bare for pretty much all Summer. After spraying it with weed and grass killer, the monkey grass stayed at bay for the most part, with the exception of a few sprouts here and there. The photo you see was taken right before I got to work on it Sunday morning. Littered with leaves and you can see my pots from last Summer all lined up and my extremely large and extremely dried out Mum from September [lol].


And there it is all cleaned up. I know... your wondering what the big deal is. I raked some leaves... big whoop. BUT what's underneath the ground is the 'big deal', well at least to me anyways.


Some Asiatic Lilies and....


Some Gladiolus. All in all about 34 bulbs. I'm not only excited to see them start sprouting but im also excited because this is the first time ive actually taken a spaced, gotten it ready and than planted lots of bulbs. Mostly ive always been the 'Go to Lowes and buy a pack of annuals and throw them in a ceramic pot' kind of girl, but this Summer I really want to just plant all kinds of flowers. I just love them, their so pretty and looking at them makes [me] happy :)


As for my pots? Their cleaned up and ready to go... Although I can't remember what they had in them and which ones had [nothing] in them. I guess I will have to wait and see what pops up! 

How bout you? Have you done any Spring planting yet? Also... how is the weather in your neck of the woods? Is it starting to feel like Spring?

10 comments:

  1. In not time that space would look so beautiful...
    Now, that is time well spent ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ann

    Thanks Ann! I really can't wait for them to start growing! Should be in full bloom by mid-Summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to give my plant beds some love! The flowers are beautiful. I am in central florida, so it always feels spring time here:)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @The Sister Sophisticate

    I hear that! I am in Northern Florida and although we have had a wacky winter [cold, warm, humid, cold, warm... etc] but overall it's been really nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring is a lot of work! But if done right, you'll be able to put your feet up and enjoy all your hard work all through the summer months!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am planning to get to it next weekend. I was anticipating another cold weather snap and I was right. Last week was rather cold and we hit freezing temps so I am glad I waited. I am stretching this year and planting a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for inspiring the neighbor who never gardens. Wish our gardening would do that to our neighbor hehe

    It's so exciting to see the bulbs poppin' up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great and how fun to watch the bulbs come out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yardwork is so satisfying - especially new landscaping and shrubs/bulbs. I can't wait for my lilies to start coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love being in the yard, I just planted some olive trees. Those gladiolas are BEAUTIFUL! HAPPY GARDENING!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)