March 13, 2011

Soap Pump - Tutorial

For awhile now I have had a 'glass soap pump' on my mind. I have been looking through different types of glass soap pumps on the internet and there is just something about them that looks so appealing to the eye. Of course they look better next to your sink than a plastic-white 'made in china' soap pump, right? Because that's what we have had for awhile now.

As you know I love glass. All things glass. Sometimes I will purposely buy pasta sauce, solely based on the type of jar it's in. ....Okay, maybe not that obsessive but you know what I mean. I also have some small mason jars and a few other plain glass jars. One in particular that had been sitting on the counter for quite some time now was an empty small, Salsa jar. It was plain and fat. I just loved the size and shape of it and after some thought I figured 'Hmm... why not try and make a soap pump myself [for free] and use that small-fat salsa jar!?'.

And so I did.


First I had an old soap dispenser away in my tub of 'goodies' [as I like to call it]. We've had this since Josh and I first started living together. It hasn't been used since than because ... Over the years my taste's have changed and that there soap dispenser did not fall into that category. So I took it out of the goody tub to take the pump part of it.


Next... A clean and dry empty jar.


I than took the pump part of the soap dispenser out and cleaned the parts of it.


I took the larger white piece of the soap pump and did a rough trace around the inside of the jar lid.


Next up was gathering all the tools needed for the 'job'. As you can see I already made a simple hole within the traced circle... And remember your safety glasses! :)


I took my wire cutters and started cutting away bits and pieces inside the circle, until it was large enough for the soap pump to go through.


Once I had the pump within the lid, I used some gorilla glue to secure it on the inside and the outside of the lid, as you can see it bonds metal and it also 100% waterproof!


I let the glue dry overnight and the next morning I used a good coat of metallic Valspar spray paint over the lid and the pump. After it dried... I have my finished product!


I think it looks so much better on the counter than what was there before. Granted I might have went a little overboard on the glue, hence it bubbled a little around the edges of the pump, but ah... it was free and it works!


Before



After
And there you have my complete tutorial on how to make a simple hand soap pump/dispenser. Any glass can be used and depending on the lid you can easily use a larger drill bit to drill the hole into the lid instead of using the cutters... my lid was a thin piece of metal so I just used the cutters and it only took me about a min. 

And if you were wondering, because I know you were, working with a Salsa jar made me want chips and salsa after I was done with this project. Unfortunately we didn't have any chips. Boooo!


9 comments:

  1. Hey Kasey you got me as a follower with the word "free" great project.. I hate those plastic dispensers.. that is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! What a smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work girl!
    I really love glass jars too:) The whole space above my microwave is filled with them...just waiting for fun projects:)
    Christine
    greatoakcircle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kasey, what a wonderful and smart idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea..it looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Cute idea...I just may have to try my hand at that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! I saw one like this at Target the other day for like $18 or something. Yours was just the price of the salsa jar! And you got the salsa... sounds like a FABULOUS deal to me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my my!! I love this idea! I am doing this tonight! I just said to the Hubs yesterday that I wanted a "fancier" soap dispenser for our kitchen sink. We have this really cute pendant light I made out of a mason jar. I think I am going to use the smaller bell jar I have for this soap pump!! Genius!! I will let you know how it turns out!!
    Cheers!
    -Colleen
    www.reddoorabode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)