Let's take a quick look back shall we?
Good bones. Good design... just a little dated with the stain and gold handles.
So with some primer, paint, spray paint and a few days, I have managed to give this dated little number a totally new leash on life. Now before we go any further... I wanted to do something bold... well a little more bold than what I'm used to. I wanted to stray away from white or black.
So with....
That fabric, which I am using as the color palette for our living room, I wanted a nice bright, fun color.
And that is what I had in mind. There are still a few touch ups I have to finish off [like right next to the door hinges... I would have took them off the doors however they aren't attached with screws, and whatever they are attached with, we don't have the tool that fits]. Overall though it's about 99% finished.
For the top knobs [something about that just doesn't sound right... ha!]. I wanted to keep the original ones that came with the cabinet because they have that 'vintagy' feel to them, and they matched the rest of the designs within the cabinet. The original color was a brassy/gold... so because that is not part of my color palette, I used Valspar's premium enamel interior spray paint for metal, in a brushed nickel color.
I did the same for the door handles. I kept the original brackets because they matched the designs in the wood, also because I think it would look weird to just have a simple knob there and another knob at the top of the doors.... to many knobs, so I figured the bracket would break it up a bit. The knobs however I switched out with new ones for the doors. I found those at Lowe's and they matched the same brushed nickel in the shade of spray paint I used for the bracket and original knobs. They also seemed a little 'vintagy' so I figured that would work well with the entire cabinet.
So there you have it. My finished $20.00 cabinet. It's sitting in the living room, right by the window. That space has always bugged me because it was so bare and I have been on the look out for something special to put there and I am so excited now to have filled that boring ol' area. This cabinet will also be used to store all of Jaydens toys that he keeps in the living room, which will work out great with hiding them all whenever we have company over!

Wow! I love it! I have been keeping my eye out for a great piece to refinish lately! You did a great job...and "way-to-go" for using a bright fun color!
ReplyDeleteIt looks great with the fabric you choose, even if it isn't an exact match! I am loving how bright and playful this room is going.
ReplyDeleteHi Kasey...I found you at Debbie's and am following you now. What a great job on the cabinet...love the color. I have awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Check out my post tomorrow, Feb. 10th for details. Nice to meet you!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love it! I would never imagined it looking so cute. The yellow is perfect. I love it with the fabric.
ReplyDeleteWow, amazing job! I love love the color, it is so fun and cheery!
ReplyDeleteLooks great! I love your color choice. Way to be bold!
ReplyDeleteShut the front door. It's fantastic. Truly! I love it. What a difference paint makes. I am hitting up Goodwill this weekend for sure! Nicely done, friend!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the yellow! Unexpected and so whimsical and lovely!! You go, Kasey!! (:
ReplyDeleteKASEY! YOU ROCKED THIS! Love it, girl!!! Now can you go find me a $20 dresser and paint it oh-so-adorably! Pretty please?? ; )
ReplyDeleteThis looks AMAZING!! I am in love with the color you chose. This makes me want to go thrifting :)
ReplyDelete1. I love that fabric
ReplyDelete2. Wonderful paint job on that cabinet!
3. Now I have to find another picture of your living room...
Love it! :)
ReplyDeleteI love the color choice! So happy. It will look great with that fabric.
ReplyDeleteIt is so bright and lovely!
ReplyDeleteWay to go! What a great color to bring a 70's piece into this century.
ReplyDeleteOH WOW! You really know how to dress things up!
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog! SO I will follow it! You have a great day!!
~Morgan
http://livelaughspin.blogspot.com
Brilliant!
ReplyDeleteLove it!!!
ReplyDeletelooks great! love the color!! you did an AWESOME job!! :-)
ReplyDeleteYellow! Wow! Love it! You have opened my eyes to possibilities for what can be done with "ugly" furniture! Goodwill, here I come!
ReplyDeletebeautiful! i love the color you chose! so bright and happy! i featured you on my "before and after" blog
ReplyDeletehere: http://beforeandafterlovelies.blogspot.com/2011/02/hello-yellow.html
@Annie
ReplyDeleteLol. Now go get em' Annie, the possibilities are endless! :)
-Kasey
Awesome...this made a beautiful piece of furniture..kudos for the fantastic color!!!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous! Gorgeous! What a fun color!
ReplyDeleteIt's adorable. So cute.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great transformation! I love the color and the hardware!
ReplyDeletethat was one eek before, but you worked some magic! love the happy color you chose, and your pictures are amazing!
ReplyDeleteI love how bright & happy the dresser is now! BTW, that fabric is EXACTLY what I've had in mind for my kitchen chairs. What is it??
ReplyDelete~Mary
www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com
This is the perfect yellow! I love it!
ReplyDelete-Rene
I knew I had to come take a look at your "after" when I saw your "before" picture on POWW! It looks fantastic! I love the bright yellow color! What a transformation!
ReplyDeletewowsers, i really love this color of this piece...and all of the detail. it will look great in your living room....i am you newest follower and i will check back to see how it all turns out!!!
ReplyDeletehugs, cindy
Kasey, that turned out fantastic! I love the yellow, and what a steal!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite transformation projects this week! Absolutely adorable! I would have snatched it up at Goodwill, too!!!
ReplyDeleteI love it! Such a difference.
ReplyDeleteThat looks awesome!! Nice work :)
ReplyDelete