February 7, 2011

Dancin' to the deal of the DRUM

During my weekend escapades, also known as finding the perfect color paint for my cabinet re-do, which btw... totally bummed. I was hoping to get at least another coat of paint on today after I got home from work but it was nearly impossible because of all the hurricane force winds we started to get on my way home, I did manage one quick coat to the front, but it needs a good slop of one more to finish it off :)

Anyways, back on topic [I tend to get a little distracted]. I was in Lowe's and after I got my paint I decided to take a quick peek around to see if there were any deals going on. I had especially been wanting to check out all the lights, not only for the master bath redo, but also for the dining room.


Here is the light fixture that was in there when we moved in. It was fairly new and although it wasn't bad and I probly could have just spray painted it a different color, it still wasn't my style. So over the past couple of months I have been checking out different lights online to get some inspiration. 

I really wanted a drum shade. Not only have I been seeing them over blog-land, but there is something about them that just draws my eye. Their simple yet have a lot of personality without being so overly dramatic.

I was however. Not impressed. With the prices.


Take this simple drum shade from West Elm. I have a hard time seeing how paying almost $150.00 for a circle of fabric can be justified?


Or how about this one from Shades of Light. This one was more up my alley. It had the drum, yet it also had a few added extra elements with the simple chandelier poking out from the bottom. Almost $600.00? Ya, um... not really up my 'alley' anymore.

Than in my leisurely walk around the place that likes to build things together [i.e Lowe's] I happened upon this little gem.


It's almost like the West Elm shade and the Shades of Light 'shade' hooked up and well.. ya know. I mean doesn't it!? So not only does it have the simple drum shade I was looking for but it also had the little chandelier hanging out from the bottom and check out the price! It was on sale. Triple Score.


And there she is hanging in the dining room. Granted I don't have all 3 of the lights in. Like a dingle-berry, I forgot to buy some of the small bulbs but luckily I had one extra in the house and was able to check it out somewhat, all shiny and bright.



I really love the little glass ball detail.


I love it. I really do. I never thought I would end up with a drum shade from looooowe's. Always thought I would have to order one of those online somewhere. But luckily I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!

On a side note- Don't mind the randomly placed curtain rod above the sheer curtain. I just like putting random curtain rods above the windows. I think it adds a little extra 'element' to the 'window space'. .... No. Not really ha! I am in the process of creating some new panels for the window and figured I would go ahead and get the rod ready :)

Have you scored any deals lately? What's the most you would pay for a lighting fixture for your dining room?

21 comments:

  1. I love it too, I really do!!~ It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh for the record the newbie party is going on again this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I love drum shades, and that is a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the light, looks similar to one on Overstock that is much more $. Good find! I think your curtain rod story is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks awesome. I made one of these from a $2.00 thrift store lamp. It's a bit hard to see it in the picture, but I love it. The cost with the shade was $7.00. Crazy. http://jandjhome.blogspot.com/2010/10/office-chandelier.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it's gorgeous! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new drum shade looks great! And I agree, the glass ball on it is an awesome detail - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kasey, I actually like the Lowe's one so much more than the more expensive ones. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @jandjhome

    That is awesome! If I ever get [want] another drum shade for any other room in my home I am seriously going to try and tackle one on my own. Hopefully I can pull it off lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE it! And you can't beat the price! Congrats on your great find! :)

    ~Lauren
    tickledonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! What an awesome find! Congrats ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fantastic! You rocked it at that price :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great, Kasey! Definitely the right pick! I love drum lights, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Kasey...could you add my link..or did you and I did not see it:)? Have fun!!~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great find! I've been wanting one of these for our play-room but didn't want to pay the price either! Thanks for the great tip! I'm just coming over from Debbie's party. I've been blogging for awhile now but my sister and I just launched a new blog together so it is kind of like we are starting over again! Hop over and say hi if you get a chance! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the fixture!!!! i always score at estate sales :) track one down, they seriously are THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow love that fixture! You are finding the good deals left and right lately, my friend! Gorgeous.

    And PS. I'm reading this thinking whaaaat, girl, I know you have good taste, WHAT'S UP WITH YOUR CURTAIN ROD THEORY?? Ha ha ha. Then I finished the sentence. Funny girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great find!

    Where did you get the Eat, Drink, and Be Merry print? It's adorable

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Michelle @ Ten June

    Lol! Maybe I can start a trend of exposed curtain rods, randomly placed about above windows ha!... Can you imagine the fugliness!?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Katelyn

    Thanks Katelyn!

    The print I made in Photoshop :)

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)