Now of course im not knockin' the poor mans food. As you will see in this post... My meal plans are far from 'extravagant'. If anything they are quick, simple, easy and very much affordable. Of course without a plan it can be quite hard to create meals that fit into that 'Easy, quick and affordable' bracket [as I learned in 2010...heh...].
First, I bring out the stack of cookbooks. This isn't all of them but I could stand to lose a few so... the cooking light cookbooks are my favs. right now. Not only that, the majority, if not all, of the meals in these cookbooks are less than 30mins. for prep and cook. You might notice the weight watchers books. My step-mom is a weight watchers councilor... [or whatever you call them] and she hooked me up with all kinds of weight watcher books and goodies [step-moms are supposed to be 'evil' but seriously... mine is completely awesome!].
Note: Prep and cook-time on that soup. See?! Fast and easy [and healthy! :) ]
I run through the pages to look at what recipes I might want to add to our 2-week meal plan. As you can see... this one looks scrump-did-aly-umptious... and yes, it is on my meal plan for 2-7. And in case you weren't paying attention... if you look closely at the photo.. I pretty much gave you a recipe out of my cookbook :) ...but no that's not the freebie. The freebie I saved for last.
Some might think that cooking 'light' takes time and costs money. Well no... it doesn't. It can be just as quick as popping a frozen, loaded with salt and fake-ness, meal into the microwave and nuking it for 5mins. The photo above is for example. That's for a hearty fried chicken salad. Going by the 'light' recipe... you cut it down from 506 calories to 287 calories and in the end it's still tastes just as delicious as the 'original'.
As I find recipes I make my rough draft. I write down which recipes I will make on which corresponding day of the week.
Once I have all of my meals for 2 weeks, I take my bookmarks which are made out of some simple scrap paper and place them inside the page of my cookbook that the recipe is located.
As you can see the tops of my bookmarks have letters and numbers. Those letters stand for the day of the week and the numbers stand for which week. So if I have M-1, that basically tells me that, that recipe in which the bookmark is placed is for Monday of Week-1... and so on.
I write my Day-Numbers off to the side of my meal planning rough draft so I have something to go by when placing my bookmarks.
Easy as pie!
Once I have my entire meal plan written out for my two weeks... I have to make my shopping list. I basically just go through the recipes and jot down items that I will need or think I might need. Some items I know for sure we already have, so of course I don't add those, but once my list is done I go food-shopping a-la my Fridge and cabinets. If I have something that I wasn't sure we had than I just cross it off the list.
Once my final shopping list is complete, I type up a 'cleaner' version on Open-Office and print it out [FYI- Open Office is basically like Microsoft Office, but free].
While im at my computer printing off my typed up shopping list, I also print off 2 copies of my weekly dinner menus that I made up in Photoshop. Once those are printed off, I write down the meals [taken from my 'rough draft'] on each corresponding day of the week.
And last but not least is COUPONS! [and the crowd goes wild]. I basically just run through my coupons and go through which ones I will use for items on my shopping list and for any other 'etc' items I might buy while shopping [also depending if those 'etc' items are on sale]. This also gives me the chance to weed through expired coupons, or coupons that will expire before grocery day... to clean out my coupon holder.
And there you have it. My complete run down of how I plan meals for 2 weeks for my family. My busy family... I add my 2 dinner menu plans and shopping list to my clipboard. I hang my 'grocery' clipboard up on the wall in our newly organized office shelving nook. Once a new week starts, I take the first dinner menu off the clipboard and put it on the side of the fridge.
Josh has loved this whole concept. Now he doesn't have to ask me 'what's for dinner' anymore. He just reverts to the dinner plan to see what tasty goodness we will have cooked up for that night. But who cares what Josh thinks right!? It's time for some freebies!
Meal Planner 1
Meal Planner 2
These are 2 meal planners that I made in Photoshop that I would like to share with you. All you have to do is click on the image, print, and Viola! They are sized 8.5x11, so you can easily save them to your files and re-size them if needed to.
Now what say you? Do you meal plan? Do you use coupons? If you don't meal plan have you ever wanted to try and start meal planning?


I used to be so good at all this stuff....until kids came along..then I relied on my brain...LOL...not so good. You are so good.
ReplyDeleteMy newbie party is going on now, if you are interested, it is great fun!
@⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜
ReplyDeleteOh thanks for reminding me! I saw the link up this morning [during my 5AM morning rush haha] and was meaning to add my link when I had a new post up! :)
-Kasey
You are good! I end up looking through the fridge minutes before my husband gets home. I love when I get a call from my mother-in-law offering me food. Those are my favorite nights.
ReplyDeletethanks Kasey...just add my link or button that would be great so your readers know.
ReplyDeleteGreat job! Like your post.
ReplyDeleteFound you on Debbiedoo's
Hope you have a great night!
Look at you getting all crafty in Photoshop! That is one good lookin meal planner, mine is on a Christmas naughty or nice note pad :)
ReplyDeleteThanks!!! I so need to be better at meal planning. i used to be but lately 430 comes around and i'm scrambling to figure out dinner. i just printed off some of your meal planners and saved them so maybe i will actually use them.
ReplyDelete@jandjhome
ReplyDeleteI was doing that all the time... well on my way home from work I would mentally run through my fridge and cabinets and try to come up with something to make... but in the end it was always 'Ooooh... I don't know what the make' lol.
-Kasey
@⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜
ReplyDeleteI added your link to my sidebar :)
-Kasey
@Kendra @ House of Ficek
ReplyDeleteGirl, PS is pretty much attached to my right hip. I always have it open... and when I get some creative little spark in my head I quickly get to work on my PS. It's great! :)
-Kasey
@Raquel
ReplyDeleteYour welcome Raquel! :)
I've been doing the EXACT same thing.. minus book marks as I just line the recipes in order in my 3-ring notebook!
ReplyDeleteYou go girl!
I'm getting ready to post my meal planning process in the next couple of day so I loved reading this post. You have a great system in place! Mine is pretty similar except I go shopping once a week. I *love* the idea about the designated bookmarks in your cookbooks!! Genius! I just make a notation on my meal plan with which cookbook it is from! Great job! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous idea! I'm going to have to give your system a try! I'm your newest follower from Debbie's newbi party! Glad to have found your blog! :)
ReplyDeleteWOW! You are the woman I wish I was! I want to do this. I love how organized it is. You rock!
ReplyDeleteFound your blog from DebbieDoo's and am SO glad that I did! What great ideas! I'm trying to be more organized when it comes to meal planning too ... and trying to stick to our grocery budget! For ONCE! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing ... Can't wait to read some more of your posts!
~Lauren
tickledonline.blogspot.com
OH MY ORGANIZEDNESS! That's really amazing. My process is called scrambling through the grocery store at 9pm on a Tuesday night, grabbing a bunch of stuff that hopefully resembles a meal. Or Taco Bell. For realz. You go, girl, this is awesome!
ReplyDeleteAlso my NY resolution... meal plan! I have been cutting coupons for a few months too, and trying to match them up with items that are on sale. It takes forever, but when you pay for the groceries it's worth it!
ReplyDeleteOkay first off I found you at the newbie party. I am not a newbie but get tired of all the same things out there so I try to find inspiring new places to visit. And yours is great. I actually went back and read from the first post so I'd be caught up before I add you to my daily blog roll.
ReplyDeleteYou are a girl after my own heart- military- ( did my time and hubby is in now) Loves to redo your house to your style. And most importantly you are so over the top anal organized. My hubby always says I am type a- anal organized and it cracks him up. I love it.
But my downfall is planning meals- I am going to do it now- you have inspired me..so thanks for all the creative helps you made to share..okay enough rambling..don't want you to think I am weird.
tammy :)
@Kristina @ A Home Made by Kiki
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to check out your meal plan post Kristina! Before my cookbooks I would actually just make copies of the recipes and print them out but I got tired of all the extra paper and even though it was nice to have [those] recipes in my own recipe book, at the same time it was kind of pointless since I already had cookbooks with those recipes in it... and in came the bookmarks :)
Thanks for stopping by! :)
@Michaela
ReplyDeleteOnce you start doing this and fall into a system/routine.. you'll never look back! :)
@tickled.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by!! :)
@Michelle @ Ten June
ReplyDeleteTo funny! I used to have nights like those.. well mine were more scrambling at 5PM on my way home from work but after awhile I told myself something had to be done about that because that meant I wasn't getting home to almost 6 [between the crowds in the store and the traffic].
Although... we still never pass up the chance to just skip a meal.. move it to another day and have us something fast [taco bell] :)
@Studio 13
ReplyDeleteIt does take some time and can get a little annoying at time but your right... when you check out and pay for all those groceries and look at how much you saved.. so worth it!
@Home of 6
ReplyDeleteWow, you are awesome! I'm flattered that you went back and read everything! And I would be lying if I said my heart doesn't flutter when a fellow blogger has also served in the Military or has close family who is in.. it's like we're family! :)
So glad you stopped by. I am also a new follower to your blog :)
Kudos to you for being so organized! I love your meal plan sheets, so cute. I can only plan for one week at a time but I'm a stay-at-home mom so going grocery shopping is really the highlight of my week.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, girl. You are my hero. I go through recipes to choose what to buy, but I don't assign dates and I don't clip many coupons. I really need to start coupon clipping, though. It's crazy that I don't.
ReplyDelete