January 19, 2011

Organization 101 - DVD's/Games

Today I am going to show you how I astonishingly consolidated our entire DVD/Video Game collection [which consisted of a 4 shelf DVD rack which was stashed away in the closet... which has recently been turned into a storage haven for our Office] into a small, simple, white [DVD] storage box.


Here is what we started with. I had bought this DVD shelf about 5yrs ago because at the time we had at least 50 more DVD's than what you see in that picture. Over the years of course, in my attempts at organizing, we went through our collection and donated the DVD's we knew for sure we would never watch again, even if we wanted to, we more than likely wouldn't watch those particular DVD's, and we kept the ones that we would [most likely] watch again.


Que in the Space Saver. A simple, white storage box.


The first half of the box is sectioned off for movies. The card in the front is an inventory of the movies we have [also in the order they are placed inside the box] and also color coded by which type of movie...

For example-


Children's movies will be labeled in Purple. As you can see we have a lack of childrens movies. You would think we deprive our son from watching some good ol' Disney... however we have Netflix for our XBox and he watches a lot of childrens movies on that.


First up- Milo and Otis [You cannot have a childrens collection of movies without having Milo and Otis. It's just not humanly possible]. I printed off the labels and taped them to thick card-stock [for durability].


...On a curious Cat and a Pug nose pup.... Ooops. Sorry... got a little carried away there.

Movies are in order by the way they are shown on the inventory. TV Series are located behind all of the movies, in order, by season.


In the back is where the XBox games are located.


Same inventory concept as the movies. In order by color code.


For example- First up we have the LEGO's series games [love those!]. The first one is Indiana Jones...


And there it is behind the sleeve. I have also put the games in order for which they were released by date.


So there, in a nut shell, you have a look into how I took our entire DVD/Game collection and shrunk it down to fit into one small box.


Hello extra Space. Goodbye ugly DVD rack.
 
-And in case your wondering what we did with all of the empty DVD/Game cases.. Well not to fret my friends. Josh and I are true recycle addicts and we did NOT throw them in the garbage, however they can't be recycled because their made with different kinds of plastics, there for making them harder to melt down.. etc etc etc. So Josh is taking some to work to use for any programs that need some cases and the rest we are going to put an ad on Craigslist and Freecycle for anyone who wants them... [for free] :)


Do you have a DVD collection that desperately needs downsizing? Is organizing your DVD's/Games a 'to-do' on your organizing goals list for 2011?

24 comments:

  1. Great idea! DVDs are so ugly and you don't really need the covers anyway. Same with CDs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I actually put them in a CD Case and laminated the front page of the DVD cover and taped it to the little holder. It makes it much easier for my nephew to pick the movie he wants to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're on quite the organizing kick and I love it!! This is amazing. I bet you're loving your extra space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Christina

    With today's technologies and how everything is being made 'smaller', you would think they would come up with a smaller DVD case... or heck smaller DVD's in general because, like you said, they are ugly!

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  5. @jandjhome

    That is also a great idea! :)

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Michaela

    You bet I am! Honestly... I don't know why I waited so long to become more organized lol!

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been a busy girl! I bet it feels so nice to not have to stare at those dvd's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative! I did the same thing with our DVD's except they are hanging dvd sleeves. I'll be putting it up on my blog soon. I would love if you linked up to "Simplify for the New Year" over at A Home Made by Kiki! I'm your newest follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This represents a huge space saving! Terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...I love this idea! You are brilliant my dear. I am over here from Michelle's @ Ten June. I am blown away by this and sadden by the fact I never came up with it myself. Hahaha....Off to check out more of your fabulous ideas. I am your newest follower. Someone as brilliant as you MUST become a new buddie to me. :)

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Kendra @ House of Ficek

    It really does feel nice... those things are not very stylish, at all lol.

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt

    Aww thanks for stopping by! That is sweet!

    And I am also your newest follower as well :)

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a clever idea!

    I have a lot of DVD box sets like The Waltons and they are in big boxes and take up so much room. I like the idea of my DVDs taking up less room but some of them have such pretty covers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I'm heading down to do this in my den.

    :) Laura

    http://www.paringdown.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog and will now be following.

    I love this idea. You've inspired me to do something with our out of control DVD collection.

    My husband and I were just talking earlier this week that something had to be done to better contain and store our collection.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! I'm really impressed. We probably have more than 500 DVDs alone, and they take up VERY valuable storage space in our den. This might be a weekend project for me sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea. Where did you get the CD sleeves? just a office supply? I think this idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @loriaj61

    Thanks!

    I made the sleeves from thick cardstock :)

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! What a space saver. I'm hosting We're organized Wednesday throught this Saturday and would love for you to join the party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally jacked your "organize DVDs into box" idea! And it's the best thing ever!

    http://thejunkhouse.blogspot.com/2012/02/dvd-organization.html

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)