August 29, 2010

Broken Glass candle holders

First I want to point out the following requires a little 'Caution while Handling'.

This project involves broken bits of glass. How did I obtain that glass? Well to make a long story short, Josh and J had gone out to the backyard one day [I was not at home at the time] and J went back inside, shut the glass-french door and locked it. Needless to say Josh only had one option and that was to break the door... or should I say break the glass?

Shards of glass went everywhere. We cleaned it all up but the glass has been sitting in a large container in the shed. That my lovelies is where I acquired the broken pieces of glass.

I have a major obsession with glass jars and bottles. Whenever we use a jar of sauce, I wash the glass jar itself, out and then remove the labeling. I particularly like to use these for storage pieces in my craft room or for candle holders.

This weekend we had two more empty Barilla glass jars. I decided to turn them into some little candle holders for a future center piece I will be working on for the dining room table [that and these will be great around the Holidays!].

So to start, as you can see we have our broken glass. Basically I used to plastic cup to scoop it from the storage container they were in and then brought them inside to wash them off under the faucet.

Cleaned and dried out my first glass jar.

Once I finished cleaning the glass off [in case your wondering how I cleaned the glass, I just took a spoon and stirred the glass bits around under the faucet]. I then used my spoon and put in scoops of glass. Half in one jar and half in the other.

Added some tea-light candles and Presto. Very simple and inexpensive decorative candle holder.


I really like how the light from the candle bounces off the pieces of glass. I think it's time to remove the lemons though don't ya think? Lemons aren't very 'fallish'....

If you would like to try this project and you don't happen to have any broken glass lying around, remember... Gloves and safety goggles!

6 comments:

  1. Very cool. I am going to try this!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean seriously, YOU need to start your own interior design company!!!!!!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish! If only there were more time in a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! I cant tell you how many things the girls and hubby have broken. I'm going to start stalk piling them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! I love how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)