Today's post is a first in a Creative Series I am starting up. I know, call me crazy... with a 2month old how would I be able to do this?! Not to worry, I have my little co-pilot snuggled in the ergo while I blog/create :)
For today's tutorial we are going to create that 'Chalk Text Effect' you might be seeing going around the web-o-sphere and Pinterest.
It's actually quite easy to do. The only real time consuming part is playing around with the brush settings to get the perfect effect.
Here is my starting piece. I opened a basic image of a chalk board up in PS and then used a simple, clean text. For this tutorial I used the font 'Secret Code'.
So here is our background and text open in PS, ready to go.
1. Next we are going to create a new layer after we create our text. {Layer>>New>>Layer>>click OK}
Now that we have created our new layer, we want to adjust our brush settings.
2. Click on the brush icon in the left toolbar and then go to your brush settings {Window>>Brush}, You will now see the brush icons on the right side near the panels.
3. Brush Tip Shape
4. Select from brushes 17, 23, 36, 44 and 60 {these are the chalk brushes}.
5. Adjust the size of the brush to your liking.
6. Click on 'Shape Dynamics'.
7. Adjust the 'Jitterness' to your liking. these are the controls for how 'jittery' you want the chalk to be.
8. Click on 'Dual Brush'.
9. Select from brushes 14, 24, 27, 39, 46 or 59. These brushes add a splatter effect to the chalk.
10. Adjust the controls to your liking.
Go back to your Layers Palette.
11. Highlight your Text Layer and click on the little 'eyeball'. This will hide your layer so you will see your text disappear. Not to worry though, we will get it back.
12. On the same text layer, right click and select 'Create Work Path'.
You will then see your text appear like this.
Go to your tools on the left.
13. Click on the Arrow {Path Selection Tool}.
14. Click the foreground color and select the color you want for your text.
15. Highlight the blank layer in the layers palette.
16. Click anywhere on your document and the Right click and select 'Stroke Path'.
17. Select the Brush from the drop down menu and click OK.
18. Hit Enter on your keyboard to get rid of the work path and you are done!
BEFORE
AFTER
There you have it. It might seem a little time consuming at first but the more you do it, the faster you can create it.
Also keep in mind that the settings you use for one font might not look good on another font. That's why in this tutorial I mention adjust the settings to your liking.
I am also working on a tutorial for creating chalk text in PS Elements, so stay tuned!
Now let's go create some Chalk Art! :)
















No comments:
I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)