April 5, 2011

Mirror Mirror off the wall

I have had my eye on those little wall shelves.. ya know... the kind that you can place frames on? What are those called? Im not sure. Im going to call them frame shelves [I like being self-explainatory]. Anyways this weekend I decided I wanted to make one. We have quite a bit of scrap wood in the 'garage' so all I needed was a drill, screws, wood filler, sand-paper and some paint.

I would have even cut the wood myself but at that moment, once I measured the boards out, I was wearing a tank top and seeing how Josh already had the table saw out I figured he mine as well do it [I have this thing in my head that if im wearing something along the lines of a long sleeve than I am nothing short of invinsible].

So once my boards were cut, I pre-drilled some holes, put some screws in, followed by some wood filler...


Like so peeps... like so. Doesn't that just look so simple?? ...Well it was!


I also want to note that this shelf is far from perfect. As you can see I have 3 different types of wood. One of those being plywood [lol!].. but it was free, recycled and it works.


So here is the wall with the large mirror in our dining room before. I liked it but at the same time it was a little to formal for me. Almost like it's expected... Ya know what I mean?


So with the mirror off the wall, I measured some painters tape to the length of my newly painted [white] frame shelf and centered it on that long wall.


Using my trusty [p.o.s] stud finder... I marked where the studs were, on the painters tape.


Once I had my markings for the studs on the painters tape, I transferred the tape to the back of my frame shelf. As you can see from the photo I used hooks to hang the frame shelf instead of drilling holes through the wood and into the stud.

-I also scored these hooks for free. By taking them off the back of the mirror. [Not to worry, I can still hang the mirror up!].


Lastly... frame shelf successfully hung and assembled with some various pieces of art, fabric and photos.


I think it was just the character this wall needed.


The orange paintings I made this weekend, which you can read more about here. The frame with the flowers is some of my colorful fabric that I had bought at Joanns a few months back and to the far right is a simple light green palm leaf print and one of my bird prints.

So... any ideas where or what I should do with the mirror that used to be on this wall?


*******************************
Don't forget to enter my giveaway going on at Spunky Junky for a chance to win a Free print from my shop [any print of your choosing]. Contest ends on Sunday by 4PM [central time].

8 comments:

  1. I love these shelves! I'm planning to diy a few for the guest room to display art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. I love your collection on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! It looks awesome. And I love your light fixture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo!! I can't believe you did it yourself.

    p.s. Has anyone ever told you that you look like Heather Locklear? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohooo!!! It looks so great (: Loving the blue

    ReplyDelete
  6. @karen @ our slo house

    Nope that would be a first for sure! Although ive been told I look like Rene Zellweger lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! I absolutely love those orange paintings. So fun and they definitely brighten up the room.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)