January 17, 2011

The power of the Shelf

So the weekend is coming to a close... oh wait. Today is Monday. My B. See whenever I have the day off from work it throws me all out of whack and I always, always think it's still the weekend. -Although it does feel like Sunday.

So this weekend was pretty quiet for us on our end. We didn't get a whole lot done with the Bathroom [booo], however we did take a trip to Lowes to find a few odds and ends for the plumbing [caps and also the drain] and we also picked up a box of white subway tiles. One box comes with 100 tiles and we will need about 10 boxes total... since we pay everything with cash, we are going to buy a box here and there every so often until we have enough to complete the shower and also that will give us enough time to finish the other things that need to be done first with this project. -I also bought a sample of glass tiles for the floor. They are not the gray shade like in my mood board [found here] but they are a very light shade of blue. Very pretty... but im just not sure yet [stay tuned!].

This weekend however did consist of tackling some heavy duty organizing. Specifically with the office.


Here is what our office looked like before the overhaul. Not to bad, but not the greatest either. One area in particular that has always bothered me was the closet. And even though Josh and I had visions of turning the closet into this beautiful built in shelving unit [well maybe that was my vision and not so much Josh's.... but you get the idea]. The bathroom reno has pretty much taken over our wallets so the 'Beautiful built in shelving - complete with doors on the bottom' would have to wait. However we still needed something. Some type of shelves to organize our stuff because the way it is now was, just ain't gonna cut it.


So we came up with a compromise. We built 3 simple shelves. Attached them to the wall and painted the wall behind them, white, to try and make it look like one bookshelf unit.

Of course I have more plans for this room [like new desks and paint], but for the time being it's nice to finally have a 'go to' station of files, papers, bills... etc.


I also went out and bought some cheap-o Tupperware containers @ Wal-Mart [ick!!!!!], Family Dollar and KMart. I than printed off labels using Photoshop. Attached them to the containers for easy organizing.


I put Josh's nerdy IT books on the bottom shelf and used an old [open] container we already had to put a few of our music CD's [do people even listen to those anymore?] and computer programs... mostly Josh's programs and my Photoshop.


I consolidated all of our movies and games into this one white box [bought @ Target] for easy access. Stay tuned for a post on how I completed our Movie/Game organization overhaul!


I also picked up a few packs of file folders @ Target for $1.00 [I love their dollar isle!]. I than attached labels to them for our Active bills for the month, Paid/Inactive bills for the month, Insurance information that we get in the mail for the month [for work and for vehicles/house], a file for my College papers [more like passwords/student ID information and also receipts from my GI Bill when my Uncle Sam pays for class] and lastly is Josh and I's Veterans Affairs folder. We are constantly receiving information and letters from the VA Department and while most ends up getting filed in our fire-box, we file the ones we receive for the month in our VA File and since Josh and I are both Vet's, it can be a bit overwhelming with all of the incoming VA mail, but sometimes we get the same exact letters just addressed to each of us [like a standard type of letter] and in that case one of us will shred one [because it has our social #'s on them] and file the other one.


Overall I feel relieved and like a giant weight is off my shoulders. I am happy that everything has either been thrown out, shredded, filed or donated. I am also relieved that we tackled this project so quickly [I mean it's still January! Double W00T!].


And because I was feeling a little creative hair up my be-hind, I created this nifty little 8x10 [on photo paper] in Photoshop. I am sure you have seen those 'I love you Blogs and Coffee' photos rolling around the web. I think their great... however I really REALLY love coffee and so I wanted to dedicate one special frame and wall to the creamy, sweet liquid that wakes me up every morning and get's me going. I'm not sure what I would do without it!

So there you have our organization overhaul of the office. Of course, like I mentioned earlier... the office isn't no where near completion, but I am happy that we have finished organizing our papers and files and maybe now with a fresh start in the new year, we can easily keep on top of our filing and organizing without becoming overwhelmed, like we used to because we had no sort of system set up.

How about you... Have you done any organizing for the new year? Do you plan on doing any organizing projects or are you just one of those ultra-smart people than can file anything, mentally, right in their own mind? :)

21 comments:

  1. I love the labels. I label everything. I wish I had more storage and places to do what you've done. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great! The labels are a great way to stay organized....and I love that! Such a cute print, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shelves!! All that organization is awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I love how the floating shelves turned out. You did all of the hard work with the organizing, the placing of furniture will be a sinch when you get the molah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @jandjhome

    I am obsessed with labels. Than again my career field is in Logistics/Supply so you can imagine just how label obsessed I really am! lol!

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Michaela

    Michaela, yes I really do think we were blog stalking each others blogs lol!

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kendra @ House of Ficek

    Oh I know right!? Sometimes I really wish I had one of those Money Tree's. I could go out there and pick myself a few bills and start shopping for some new pieces lol!

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the chunky shelves - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shelves look great. They do look like a bookcase. Ahhh. Love me some organization and labels. Worked on some today as well. Your coffee print is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your office redo looks great! I actually just started organizing stuff in my office this weekend and I've made a real mess :) I must go finish it up but I'm procrastinating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome idea. I really like the type of shelves you used. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to have my morning coffee or I'm useless! I'm so jealous you know how to use photoshop! And your office looks so good- I love how you built-in those shelves and made them really thick. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sara @ Russet Street Reno

    I never thought of them as chunky, but now that I look at them, they most definitely are chunky! :)

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kasey, the new shelves look great! I love your I Love You Coffee art too! So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Jena @ Involving Color

    Thanks Jena for stopping by and also... Love your blog as well! :)

    -Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a huge impact. You must love it! Organization sure does make life less complicated....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so like me! I have to have everything put away and organized before I can sit down and work. Organized work space = an organized mind ;-)

    Happy Tuesday Darling! xo

    Oh, and be sure to stop by my blog for my swimsuit GIVEAWAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, I really love where you went with this! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! I love how you gave it a "built in" look...love it, love it! Thanks for linking it up to "Simplify for the New Year" at A Home Made by Kiki!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The room looks tidy and organized. Im sure the shelves have made a great deal of space in the room for you.
    Office Shelving Units

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)