January 4, 2011

A little carried away....

I always thought that I was the one that got a little overly excited when it came to home projects. However I was very very wrong. I was at work today and got a text from Josh...

Josh: 'So im on my way home... I think I might start on the bathroom'.

Me: 'Oh really? I thought we were going to wait until this weekend?'.

Josh: 'Ya, that was the plan... You don't mind if I start when I get home do you?'.

Me: 'No.... I don't have to be the one to officially take the first swing but I do want to crack a few tiles in half so save me some'.

Josh: 'K Love you!!!'. ... As he skipped all the way to the bathroom ... [okay I added that part in but I wouldn't put it past him :) ]

It actually put a smile on my face because now I know im not the only one eating, sleeping and breathing this first official reno project. [We have always rented before we bought this house so reno projects were a no-go :( ].

So I came home and this is what was going on.


He actually got quite a bit done in just about an hour time frame and I was actually a weeee bit shocked to see some concrete board behind the tile. Well we both were actually. When I first walked in the house that was one of the first things Josh mentioned. Was how he was surprised that they actually 'did' it right. Of course you remember yesterday's little photo tour with my be-hind knocking tiles off the shower and all, and not in the way you should be knocking tiles off the shower wall with your be-hind [ha!].


I feel like we can officially join the 'Demo' crowd. It's not all about painting a wall and sewing a pillow anymore. That's right folks 'Team Josh and Kasey' have rolled into town for some ultimate tile smackdown.


Broken bits of concrete board and cracked tile give me the warm fuzzies.


Okay I lied about Josh being the only one to take a hammer to the shower wall. I had to make my mark too... and the first tile was the infamous tile that fell right off after I slightly stepped on it. That's right... I took the hammer and crow bar right to that baby and smashed it right up. I showed it who was boss and probly even flexed my bi's and tri's while swinging the hammer just to prove my point!


And just because it was located right above the bottom section, you better believe I took the hammer to this section too. Of course... I knew those pesky contractors wouldn't let us down... no concrete board on this section. Just plain ol' sheet rock.

No turning back now!

Another topic that we talked about tonight was the overall scheme of the bathroom. Specifically the shower. Of course I luuuurve me some white subway tiles and originally wanted all white subway tiles from floor to ceiling but my lovey-poo, although is on board with that, has 'hinted' to maybe adding something else into the 'sea' of white. SO the open for all ideas person that I am, came up with two options tonight.


Idea 1 - Incorporated the white clean look with a few tones of gray with the marble subway tile. Complete with white ceramic tile border above and below the marble tiles. The floor will either be white tile [smaller square tiles], Gray tile [to match the gray hues in the marble... also in small square tiles] or the marble hexagon tiles.



Idea 2 - Still using the white subway tiles.. adding in some small glass tiles. I was searching for some gray hue's and came across this design. I like how it also incorporates a little of the brown with a few added brown tiles. Since the bathroom floor is hardwood and will remain hardwood, the brown will really compliment the overall space. The floor of the shower, if using a tile like this will either be one of the lighter gray hues [in small glass tile] or one of the light brown hues [also in the small glass tile].


I know that if we do end up doing some sort of 'border' around the shower, like in the photos above, I want some sort of gray tone. The bedroom wall is a gray tone and I think that adding in just a minimal bit of gray into the Master Bath will really make the entire area flow [between the master and master bath].

What are your thoughts? Do you like glass tiles or are your more into the classic 'marble'?

8 comments:

  1. I love subway tiles, and I think the glass ones will really compliment them well. You lucky girl, my dream after watching so many home improvement show is to give some tile the 'ole crow bar smash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!! So glad I'm not alone in this madness :) Can't wait to see more! And I think I like the marble, but honestly both are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well head on over to our house Mimi... the more help the better! :-P

    Michelle - For sure! I love heading over to your blog, reading about your bathroom reno. It keeps my spirits up and makes me even more pumped to knock out even more tile in our own bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun! I like the first option with the marble, a little more upkeep but gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the glass tiles...I like the pop of color!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's see...love them both! The pops of color in the glass are great, but the sleekness of the marble is equally as wonderful! Just depends on what feel you want! You'll make a great choice, either way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kendra- The more and more I look at them I really like the marble also, but than that glass tile just keeps catching my eye. I'm so torn!

    Kiana- The glass tiles are fun, arn't they!?

    Michaela- I guess I could always do one wall with the marble and the other with glass tiles and have the best of both worlds!? I'm so torn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I don't have the glass tile and I really want some!!!
    But Marble, you can never go wrong :)
    I'm of no help sorry !
    XO

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)