I love when I have a piece of my past which I can hold close to my heart... forever. I'm not talking about photos, or teddy bears, or jewelry passed down from generation. Honestly, my little piece might seem a little silly. Why it's nothing but an old house key. A key that unlocks a door to a home.
Pretty simple huh? It's gold in color and pretty standard for the most part. However this key is the only thing I have left from my childhood. Do I have you a little confused now? Well you see I grew up in a small town in Massachusetts. My parents moved into the home right before I was born. It had been abandoned for 15yrs before they bought it [eek... I know]. However my Dad, who has been in Construction for 45yrs and owns his own company saw the opportunity for renovation. The house was in shambles [so I was told... because remember, I was still in the oven when they bought it].
My home was built in 1729. Yes... the house was THAT old, as are a lot of homes around New England, so you can just imagine how much 'renovation' was needed. Well over the years the rents' pulled it off. Granted now that I look back, early 90's decor wasn't exactly 'classy' or matches up to today's standards of decor, but for the time, it was a nice home. Everything was gutted and they even added on a very large wrap around front porch. We also had about 3acres of land and a barn with our horses.
That was the house that my sister and I both grew up in and I can't help but think about the ol' girl on 81 School St... where she once stood.
On Super Bowl Sunday of 2002, I was 17yrs old. I was at work and my parents were at a Super Bowl Party. It was nearing towards the end of my shift when my floor supervisor called me over to the podium [I was a cashier at a Grocery store]. He said I had a phone call. I figured it was one of my parents asking me to bring something on the way home... but I was surprised to hear that on the other end was my neighbor... Okay... Maybe my neighbor forgot to pick up some Milk and is going to ask me if I could pick some up for her?
If only that were the case. Instead, and I will never forget, she was frantic. Asking me if my parents were still at the SB Party. Than she said my house was on fire. I quickly dropped the phone and ran out of the store, my eyes filling up with water. I didn't really think anything, I couldn't think anything. I was numb... I didn't know how to react in a situation like this.
The home that I grew up in. Shared every Christmas with my family in, watched movies on family nights in, built forts in the living room with my sister in... was on fire.
By the time I got to the house it was torched. All that was left was the outer shell. My parents were there, sitting in the truck. My dad... although to this day doesn't know it, but I saw him wander off while he cried. I have never seen my Dad cry. My mom was numb and didn't say anything. She stared into the woods for a good 3hrs. Not one word spoken. Not one facial expression made. It was gone... everything.
Over the next few months as we tried to get back on our feet from nothing but the clothes on our backs, what was left of our home was torn down and hauled off. The hole where the cellar used to be, was filled in. A new house was built, right there on the same chunk of land. A brand new home with 3000+Sq Ft. Everything you could imagine, was in that home. All the bells and whistles.
But it wasn't the same. I never really accepted that new home. I never grew attached to it. Within 7 months I ended up leaving for the Military... The rest is history.
You might have noticed in the Wall-Art tutorial from yesterdays post, a frame with one simple key inside.
This key was with me the night of the house fire. It was the key I used to unlock the front door, to the home I grew up in. Everything in the house was gone. Photos, videos, things that had been passed down through the family. Every single thing in that house was burned. The only thing I have left to symbolize my childhood home is the images in my head and this one, simple... little key. -It's amazing how something so simple and maybe even to some, meaningless... is so so powerful.
I have kept this key with me through my travels. Locked away... I told myself that one day when I own my own home with my family... I will take this key and I will find the perfect little spot for it. A spot where I can, every so often, look over and replay the memories in my mind from the home that this key once unlocked.
And that my friends... is the story of my little ol' Key.
Note: If your wondering how the house burned... we used to heat with a wood stove and there was apparently a crack in the Flue. A very tiny crack... a few cinders had gotten through that crack earlier in the day and started a fire within the wall. By the end of the night the fire intensified and went through the entire house. SO... if you heat with a chimney or a wood stove... make sure you regularly check your chimneys to make sure they are in good standing and operating condition!

I am so sorry to hear that! It is seriously one of my greatest fears. Thankfully you were all safe!
ReplyDeleteIt's a very scary thing to think of. Since than I unplug everything when it's not in use [even the computers] and I can never have enough fire detectors lol.
ReplyDelete-Kasey
You almost have me crying at work!! I'm so sorry to hear this story... I can't imagine losing ALL my posessions. I'm soooo glad you were all okay! This post if just beautiful (in a way), and I'm glad you still have that little key ♥
ReplyDeleteYou have brought tears to my eyes. How very sad and tragic. I think what you did with the key is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteOh goodness, girl. I can see why this key is so special to you. You are such a strong, beautiful person! Thank you for sharing! I'm so glad you're proudly displaying the key as adorable wall art (:
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad none of your were hurt. It is a sad story, but your key is a wonderful reminder!
ReplyDeleteWow, what a story! I am sure going through that made your family so strong. My childhood home of 16 years burned down as well, but after we had moved away. Nowhere near the same, but I can relate to the odd feeling that the place you so cherished just disappeared! That key is amazing and you've placed it perfectly in your home. Thanks for sharing!! xo
ReplyDelete@Chardonnay
ReplyDeleteNo... no no, no crying! lol. Honestly... and this may sound really strange, but having this life changing event is what made me decide to go onto another life changing event [the Military] and I wouldn't be where I am today without that decision I made years ago. :)
@jandjhome
ReplyDeleteIt was a sad day... but it really makes you appreciate the little things. Pictures, videos, ....things like that and this little key reminds me of those simple little things. In the end it made me a stronger person and that's a good thing! :)
@Michaela
ReplyDeleteThank you Michaela. It’s crazy what little, simple things we can find and treasure and then turn into beautiful pieces of Art. :)
@Michelle @ Ten June
ReplyDeleteIt’s really not the same is it… Granted I didn’t live in the [new] house for long but those months that I did, it just felt odd. It felt like I was living in someone elses home. And as strange as this sounds… to this day, if I have ever a dream about ‘home’ it’s always in the one I grew up in, not the [new] one that was later built.
altho it is of course a sad story, it's also incredibly wonderful. that everyone was safe, that you have those wonderful memories, and that you have that key in a special place in your home now. so special!
ReplyDeleteThank you for being so open and sharing that story. I'm so sorry for your loss but the key is a beautiful reminder of the memories that were shared.
ReplyDeleteWow. That is an incredible story. And so special you have that key framed. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKasey:
ReplyDeleteA nice story. I feel for your father as he also lost the work put into a renovation like that. Jane and I built a log house in '08.
I'm a retired fire chief with a wood stove too.
While atempting to Google 81 School street, I found that there are several in Mass. would you share the city name?
Mel