The "contractor" who was working on you right before we moved in. He did you wrong and now your falling apart. But not to worry!
SO... remember how I posted awhile back about working on our guest bathroom? Well those plans are currently on hold. Although we will still be working on a bathroom, it will be our Master Bathroom. Josh will be working on replacing the pipes [which are located right under the house, which is in the crawl-space] this summer, so that we can gain more water pressure in the Master Bath, so we figured since we will be investing some monies into that bathroom this Summer [hopefully this Summer], we mine as well go ahead and tackle the other stuff right?
There was something that really just sealed the deal.
See this? Nice [well kind of nice] wood floors and some nice neutral tile. The entrance to our shower which hasn't been used in who knows how long [that darn water pressure]. I was giving Jayden a bath in the jetted tub a few nights back. I happened to step back and my foot hit the little entrance to the shower, which you see in the photo above.
And that ladies and gents, is what happened. It was either a cruel way of the powers above, telling myself that im basically such a fat ass that I made the tile fall right off the grout by just stepping on it and that I could stand to lose a few OR... The contractors did such a lousy, cheap job when they finished this bathroom up that it was pretty much bound to happen.
I dare you to stick your finger in there! I wonder what little fuzzy-wuzzies live in that dark gaping hole. Ick. That is where part of the little strip of molding also came off. They didn't even have that small piece nailed, glued... heck not even taped, to anything!
So after much deliberation and me swearing off all sweets for the rest of 2011 [ha, ya right]. We decided that starting this weekend we will officially kick off our Master Bathroom demo. Only one good thing can come out of that flimsy tile falling off so easily like it did and that would be for all of them to come off just as easy... but you and I both know that will not happen.
I have some ideas brewing in my head already. Well I already know I want subway tiles from the floor to the ceiling inside the shower. No I really don't have an obsession with subway tiles, or well, maybe I do, but in any case I just love the classic and clean look and they will really brighten up the space that much more!For the floor I might go with the marble hexagon tiles I had talked about in the Guest Bathroom post.
And because my backside is like a double wide plowing through the house, knocking tiles off the bathroom shower and all, we will extend the shower bench. Okay okay... no more jabs at my own expense but in all seriousness we will be extending this little shower bench out. Right now it's *maybe* 7inches. It makes for good laughs after standing back up and having this large red line right underneath your dairy-air but... it's not all that comfortable.
I am assuming the same dude who tiled the shower, also decided to go ahead and add in this here light fixture. Do you see what's wrong with this picture? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that, that light fixture is NOT a water proof light. That is a fixture you would put in a bedroom or hallway... that sort of thing. Not in a shower where it gets wet, humid, steamy and moisture-y [another reason why we do not take showers in here]. We are going to take out this light and put in a recessed [shower] light.
This little guy will be going also. We want a nice clean, chrome fixture. Josh also has the idea of putting in one of those large shower heads right above, in the ceiling... pretty much where the light fixture is now. If this will be the case we will put two recessed lights on either side of the shower head. He also said that if he does this he also wants to keep a nice shower head coming out from the wall.
To complete the demo and remodel we will take down the molding and replace the ceiling and put the molding back up and re-caulk everything.
I am excited. I will admit. Thinking about knocking out some tile while listening to some of my favorite rock music gives me a little bit of a warm fuzzy. I look forward to re-doing our bathroom so that way it will fit more of our style. Once the shower is done we will move on to re-doing the tile around the tub [subway, to match the shower], fix some of the molding around the door, re-do the wainscoting, new fixtures, lighting and paint.
As far as the master bedroom. I have held off buying a new comforter and other accessories because of the thought of doing this remodel. Now that it's a 'GO', im going to hold off until it's complete. I don't want to buy a nice new comforter and other accessories when we will be in and out of the bathroom with debris and dust and maybe even the creepy crawlies that live in that gaping hole in photo number 3.
Have you ever done a bathroom reno? How did it go?
You are cracking me up . . daring me to stick my finger in that! :) I think it is a fabulous sign from the powers that be. I am excited to see this all unfold. Blast the music and bust out some tile my friend.
ReplyDeleteOH my goodness....NO never have done a bathroom redo. Oh wait, let me see, when we lived in our first apartment we put indoor out door carpeting down, because the linolieum was so ugly...LOL.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to love it. Subway tile? I'm totally in.
ReplyDeleteWe've done 3 bath remodels now, but we've never done tile work, this is our first house that we'll do that with. Usually we do a surround for ease, but I'm over that. I'm anxious to see how yours goes.
First things first, I'm lovin that new header! I've done about fifty bath remodels, sadly non were in my own home :( your plans sound amazing. Your husband is right though, if you do a rain shower you should still have a wall mount as well. If not you will feel hardly and water pressure. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh my!!! I wish my hubs was handy to do any remodeling. Sigh. I can't wait to see what you do.
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies!
ReplyDeleteThe hubby is getting anxious for this reno to start! [and I thought I was bad when it came to the DIY stuff ;) ]. He is already knocking out a few tiles! :-D
Will be keeping you all updated for sure!
Saweet!I can't believe there isn't any mastic or anything on that tile that fell off. What, did they use spray adhesive from the fabric store or something?? I can't wait to see your improved space. I wish we could redo our bathroom, but I'm just not up to it...
ReplyDelete