September 23, 2010

Tis the season for... Blue

If you haven’t taken a guess already [or checked out my Flickr photos :D ] than you wouldn’t know that we have a large sofa and love seat [wow, really? Who knew…] however they are a deep blue. Alas I did not jump on the ‘white sofa/white slipcover’ bandwagon. As much as I very much WANTED to, I had to think about the reality of it all and our wallets.

We have a 2.5yr old and if you are a Mom of a spunky little Toddler like I am, than you would know that these chillins’ have magic hands.

What are magic hands you ask? Well there little hands that no matter how many times you clean them, wash them and wipe them, they are ALWAYS dirty.

Dirty magic toddler hands + White sofa = Disaster and headache…..and a nasty looking dirty couch.

So we settled for the next best thing. We went the complete opposite route and invested in a large sofa and love seat in a deep blue color. It’s hard to explain and no matter how much I adjust the white balance on my camera, the sofa still looks BLACK so you can’t really see the true color from just a photo. It’s a nice calming deep blue.


This is our typical setup right now. The sofa and loveseat act as the ‘POP’ of color in the room and we have used browns and white throughout the room whether it be in the form of furniture, accent pieces and or frames on the wall.

Now that Autumn is here I am in a bit of a pickle trying to figure out a good color scheme for the changing of the season. The room as it is now is great and feels crisp but it definitely feels more ‘Summerish’ rather than ‘Fallish’. We want cozy. We don’t have a fireplace [booo] so we have to settle with trying to make our home cozy for when the cold weather arrives. I <3 coziness. Wrapping up in a blanket on the sofa with some hot chocolate watching some cheesy ‘reality’ show repeats on the ol’ boob-tube.

[Nothing spells Fall more than watching Snooki fist pump and talk about how her perfect man is nothing other than a juice head [seriously… who says that?].

See the thing with having a ‘darker’ colored sofa is you have to choose your accent colors wisely or they will clash with the sofa and loveseat. –This my dears has led me to find some blue-sofa inspiration via the interwebs.



First up is a retro style sofa that’s close to the same shade of blue that our sofa[s] are. I noticed they incorporated some orange and brown with some accent pillows without making it look like a pumpkin threw up all over the place. 



This room is great in the sense that even though they have a blue sofa, they have kept the room very light and airy with light colored woods, white frames and little pops of greenery here and there. I am not too fond of the clear-plastic-looking coffee table but overall the room has good color. Not set up for fall per say, but they do have a yellow accent pillow so that counts right? Ha!


This sofa [according to the site] is a charcoal color, however I like how they can still use dark pieces of furniture but incorporate lighter elements in the room to make the room feel bright and airy, yet warm at the same time. With simple pops of yellow and even orange in the background, it can easily be transformed into a space for the changing of the season.

So I have my work cut out for me as finding some items and colors to bring into the room to make it feel more ‘Fall festive’ without going overboard and turning the room into a giant cornucopia.

What colors have you brought into your home to make it feel more Fall-y? Do you bring in pieces like pillows and decorative accents or do you go more mainstream and buy Autumn Harvest décor from the store? Which do you find is easiest?


2 comments:

  1. These are great pics for inspiration! I love #2. (But I am with you, I'm not a big fan of the plastic coffee table. Give me white and chippy, please!)
    So far, I have bought some new fabric to make throw pillows for the couch (packed away the turquoise and bringing in some yellow and orange). And I have thrown in some fall decor throughout the house (pumpkins, pinecones, orange candles, etc.). Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blue sofa. Pretty.

    We have deep red as an accent all the time, which kinda makes it seem like fall all year round. What can I say, I'm lazy.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)