March 19, 2011

Ikea? Really?

Dear Ikea,

I have been stalking your website now for... oh... for the past 1.5yrs, let's say almost 2yrs. Your products look so pleasing to the eye and your prices look even more heavenly. I have never ordered anything off of your website, and I am probly the only person in the entire world that has never stepped foot into your store. For good reason of course. -They say everyone flocks to the 'Emerald Coast' and it's just 'that popular' here, however I guess you think other wise or else my nearest Ikea store would not be more than 6+ hours away from here.

I have been thinking about changing out the two glass desks in my office for the Vika Amon white desk.

To try and increase space in our office I figured one, very long desk would work perfect for my computer and Josh's computer... What worked even better was the fact that this desk was only $62.00. Hello!! So after about 7 months of searching for that perfect, yet simple desk for *2* people, I clicked on 'Buy online'. My heart fluttering with excitement as I put in my mailing/billing address... I click 'continue' with a big smile on my face until I see something so shocking it makes me want to gouge my eyes out. ...Okay it didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out but looking at it made my eyes feel like they were being gouged out.

What the %^*%#$@#%^%^ beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

$349.00 for shipping. Really? Are you freaking serious? I know you consider the weight for the desk and all but... holy mother. I think you are off on your weight standards for shipping. I just cannot comprehend. I had my motorcycle ship from Massachusetts to Florida in 2006 for LESS than what you are going to have a simple $62.00 desk ship from [more than likely] Atlanta to Florida.

And on top of it all, I won't even see the desk for another month!?

Well I tried Ikea. I really tried. I am almost scared to see what the shipping damage would be if I ordered some simple wall frames from you. Do I even dare? 

And the desk hunt continues .......................................... for the next 7 months.

10 comments:

  1. ikea is great but NOT for online shopping. they are totally over priced for shipping. i know i wanted to buy a small basket. tiny $5 basket. wanted $30 for shipping!! ridiculous. we have one about 4 hours away so we go there about once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four words: Annual. Trip. To. Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found out the hard way just like you! I fell in love with an item, clicked to order, and got heart broken at the checkout! I hope you are able to make it to one at least one time because the shopping experience is like no other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG it would be cheaper for me to drive an hour to my Ikea and pick it up and ship it to you!

    Holy crap! How in the world do they think that price is justified!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Misty-Ann

    Lol im not sure, it's crazy though. I ship a lot of aircraft parts weekly through FedEx and im talking about really heavy pieces... some of which even require freight and even those don't cost that much for 2 DAY shipping, let alone an entire month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Raquel

    I think im going to have to make a once a year kind of trip. I know Josh would be totally against just driving 6hrs to go to Ikea... Maybe if I plan a 'weekend getaway' to Atlanta and than casually say 'Oh look... Ikea!!! let's go inside' haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's ridiculous! I'm glad there's an Ikea about 30 minutes from me. I hardly ever go though because it's SO busy on the weekends. I think I'm about due for a trip over there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! My mother and I make 2-3 yearly pilgrimages to the Swedish motherload for just this reason. It costs less to drive 8 hours, pay for gas and a hotel, and have a beautiful/fabulous/wonderful day of shopping than it does to pay for shipping on one item. Although you run the risk of buying out the store when you actually go there. I don't think I've ever left there for less than $500.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)