November 18, 2010

Guest Bathroom Intro

Our Guest Bathroom is a really nice space with tons of potential. It's actually a fairly large space and oddly enough it's larger than our Master Bath and even more oddly enough it has double sinks where as our Master bath does not. I have always wondered why our Guest bath has two vanities... granted I'm not complaining by any means, but you usually don't find double vanities in a Guest bathroom, right?


Here is the bathroom, standing out in the hallway looking in. Sorry I wasn't classy enough and I forgot to put the toilet seat down for this special photo-op, but I'm sure you don't mind. ;)


This is standing over by the toilet and linen closet, looking towards the hallway. There is also this large space/area to the left of the photo, next to the toilet. It's just empty space. Dead space as I call it. I'm still not sure what to do with it. Josh had mentioned adding another linen type closet and taking the door off the [current] linen closet and leaving those shelves exposed... or vise-versa. It could work.


Ah... The double vanities. They will be staying and we won't be changing anything about them, or the mirrors. I really like the mirrors. They kind of remind me of a mosaic style mirror. If you look in the reflection of the mirror, on the side of the toilet where that white shelf and green vase is? That is the dead space I was previously talking about. It's really odd. In a way kind of fun to guess or wonder why it's there. We think that, at one time, the washer and dryer used to be in here [closed off] but than they moved that and opened the wall up and now we are left with this large empty space in the bathroom.


These are two major inspirations for the 'look' I'm going for, for the bathroom. Clean, white subway tiles within the shower, except in ours I want them to go all the way to the ceiling. Maybe some more shelving like shown in the first inspiration pic.

For the floor, right now we have 8x8 tiles that, in all honesty, look dirty. Their in the beige family and are also textured but they have darker 'beige shades' within the different textures of the tile and if anything it just looks like built in dirt [if dirt could be built in? ha!], but it's really not... after spending almost an hour on my hands and knee's with a toothbrush, bleach, spray and a magic eraser, it is indeed... the tile.

At first I was thinking of maybe a black and white mosaic tile design but than I thought of the fact that our bathroom is fairly large and the black and white, small tiles might make it seem a little dizzy when walking in there. We don't need guests passing out from black and white tiny-tile overload, while meeting with the porcelain god.

I think the Carrera Marble Hexagon tiles are perfect. They are small [I have a teeny little obsession with small tiles and love this look on a bathroom floor]. Yet they fall within the same color/shade and will fit just right within the size of the space we are working with.


As for color, I was thinking something with some blue, or some shade of yellow, or something with a hint of green. The 3 colors above I really like... They don't have names [unless of course you consider 9ec1bd a name for a color]. I'm sure I wouldn't have a hard time trying to match something close to one of those.

The color of the bathroom now is 'Aqua Ice' and it's a lot brighter than it should be. Or at least according to the little color swatch it's a lot brighter than it's supposed to be. It should have been a little less 'BLUE' and have a little more 'white' to it. I figured since we will be re-doing the bathroom, no use in painting the wall over now.

So what do you think? Hopefully the fact that we aren't knocking down any walls, replacing fixtures, sinks and vanities... we will save some moolah!!! - And how about that dead space? What would you do with a dead space in your bathroom?

All images from Decor Pad

6 comments:

  1. I love love love the tile you chose. I've picked all our tiles for our bathroom, and I can't wait to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You're right, it sure is a large guest bath! Let's see...I really like colors 1 or 3 for this space. The inspiration images are beautiful. As for the dead space...maybe either a great art piece from Z Gallerie (that's where my mom and I got ours for our bathroom!) or a nice gallery wall of black and white photos. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am willing to bet from my bathroom remodel experience that those two vanities used to be one long built in vanity and it was remodeled at some point not too long ago. That happened with my home {which looks to be about the same age as yours} when they remodeled in the 80's they took out the vanity and put in a pedestal sink?!

    Oh, and I.love.carrera!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a nice bathroom - I didn't think the color in there already was that bright, but it's always different in pictures. There shouldn't be dead space - use it for something, shelving, etc! If you don't like dirty floor tiles, I would skip the carrera. I would go for something a little easier to care for, but in your color scheme. It will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendra- That's definitely a possibility. I don't even think they had fancy-schmancy pedestal sinks back in those days. When I think 80's, I think of that cheap laminate counter top with seashell shaped sink lol.

    Sara- As of late, I have been thinking about hardwood... although that might be more work than we can bargain for lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I love what I'm seeing. My two favorite elements of a bathroom are white subway tiles and tiny hexagon tiles... great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)