September 28, 2010

Lookin' a bit Witchery

Hey. 

Hey you.

Ya you.. sitting there listening to guys in Blazers and over-sized shoulder-pads belt out some classic 80's tunes.

...oh wait... that's me. ha!

But in all seriousness. What do you get when you put together a little bit of that nifty little concoction called Stitch Witchery [seriously some of the most awesome-est stuff ever invented] and some king sized, white, 200-thread count top sheets?

Well im happy you asked because im about to tell you what you get with sheets and stitchery-witchery. Well more like [show] you that is.


Your get curtains! -I originally saw the idea on many various blogs, but the idea[s] used painters drop cloths and at first that's what I went out in search of. However I was let down to only find drop cloths that closely related in color to the floor. Although I like that shade of beige... It just wasn't 'warming' up to me as far as curtains are concerned. So with some motivation and a little bit of 'I will not give up' attitude, I quickly drew out a game plan for 'Plan B'. Than it hit me. Why not buy some white king sized sheets?


So I went out in search of some white king sized sheets. Why king? Because I wanted large flowy curtains. Go big or Go home right?... even though after my shopping trip I did in fact go home.. hmm..


It was super simple. When I first opened the package of sheets and layed it out on the floor, luckily it already had a deep crease down the middle. I cut right along that crease two divide the 'two' panels. I than washed/dried and than ironed. After they were all ironed and ready to go, I folded the side that I had cut [down the middle] about 1-2inches in and than ironed a crease along the fold. Added some Stitchy-Witchy, iron and DONE.


At first I didn't think I would like so much baggage hanging on the bottom but after having both panels up it grew on me really quickly. It gives it a nice warm/homey feel and I like that a lot. Now more than ever with the Fall season and all.

I also moved the curtain rods up. 2.5inches away from the molding around the window and 2.5inches away from the bottom of the crown molding. I attached cafe hooks to the panels for a nice clean finish. I remember my mother used to have cafe hooks on all of the curtains in our house growing up. It was in the 80's/early 90's. They were a nice shiny gold. ha.


All in all it was a simple project. I love my sewing machine dearly however I have never tried stitch witchery before but have seen some of it's 'work' and if I must say so myself... Pretty impressive. So I stood up my sewing machine and made a date with the Iron and lots of 'melty-fabric-string'.

And I hold true to my word. -Pretty impressive stuff-


So... What do you think? Yay? Nay? Meh? What nifty ideas have you come up with and or tried that involved bedsheets and or curtains?


10 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea! I've been searching in vain for the perfect curtains and was thinking I might just need to make my own but was terrified of having to sew them. I'm definitely going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having the same issue. Trying to find the perfect curtains but at the same time I didn't want to spend a boat load on them [especially when their so simple in design]. You will find this project super easy. Can't wait to see what your finished product! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea - and I really love curtains that scrunch on the bottom with some volume, its very glamorous dont you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does give off that glamorous feel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute Kasey!

    I need to go get me some king sheets... but for my bed... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you did a fantastic job...they look awesome. I have seen them done in burlap too...that would be more my choice because of color and texture. However, it depends on the look you are going for..you seem to have the light, crisp clean modern thing going on...and these work perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the results for little sewing. sometimes i have the hardest time sewing a straight line. i've used this stuff to make a roman shade. love it!

    thanks for linking up to the FALL FESTIVAL!

    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job ... they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so flowy and pretty! very nicely done! I am all about the "out of the box" curtain. Used shower curtains in my daughters room! your curtains look great!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading all of your lovely comments! :)